Some years back, braces were largely a preserve of kids; braces were seen as ideal and workable only for little children whose teeth were still developing. However, this misconception is long passed by time. Today, adults can get the right type of braces for their dentofacial conditions, and in fact there are so many options that one would almost be spoilt for choice.
Which are some of the most common types of adult braces available?
- Metal braces; these are the traditional type of braces, that were characterized with wires crisscrossing above the teeth. These braces have been rendered less popular because most adults are going for braces that are less noticeable. It is worth mentioning that metal braces are very effective.
- Invisalign braces; these are braces made of a clear plastic like material, that is then carefully inserted above the teeth. Although these braces may have wires and bands to anchor them to your teeth, these are hardly noticeable.
- Ceramic braces; ceramic braces are made of a unique material made of ceramics, and are also placed above the teeth. Ceramic braces are popular because the braces are made to look and feel like real, true teeth.
- Incognito braces; incognito braces, also known as lingual braces, are the best option for anyone looking for braces, although they are most expensive! They are similar to Invisalign braces, only that these now are placed behind the teeth. Thus their name incognito braces, meaning unnoticeable.
- Clear Braces; clear braces aim to have braces as clear as possible inserted on the teeth. They look almost like the real teeth.
- Smart brackets; these are the latest technology in the world of braces. They make use of computerized technology to come up with the exact measurements of the braces needed, and also estimating the time it will take before positive results are witnessed.
- Damon braces; Damon braces are an improvement of the traditional braces for adults in UK, and they do not require any bands to fasten them. They have brackets where a wire can be slid, and are more comfortable.
Taking care of your braces;
- Regardless of the braces you have, always follow the instructions and advice of your orthodontist.
- Habits like smoking will make your braces look stained.
- Avoid very hot foods or very cold drinks during the time you are using braces.
- Chewing gums and sticky foods should also be avoided lest they get stuck in between the tooth and brace.
Read more on Orthosmile Orthodontics